I have been added details to the models such as the headlights and other features such as enhancing the towing hooks on the front.
For the front headlights I used Citadel Layer Dorn Yellow. I then did the protective grilles with Citadel Base Abaddon Black. I do need to touch and neaten these up before adding some Citadel Base Leadbelcher highlights. For the other lights in the headlights I used Citadel Base Mephiston Red.
For the towing hooks I used Citadel Shade Seraphim Sepia.
I also used Citadel Shade Seraphim Sepia to add some rust and shading effects to the tracks and some of the bolts.
For the next stage I used some Citadel Layer Yriel Yellow. I took a large brush and gave the model, what I would call, a heavy drybrush. I put paint on the brush, and then used some kitchen towel to remove most of the paint, and then using a stippling process added paint to the model.
The plan was that this would take the flat surfaces of the model back to the base colour.
I then gave the model a light drybrush of Citadel Layer Dorn Yellow.
I had thought about doing some edge highlighting, but I realised that I didn’t really have the skill to do this.
I was quite pleased with how the model was looking.
As well as painting the exhausts and bolters for my Horus Heresy Deimos-pattern Rhino, I have also been working on the tracks. After painting and shading them, I drybrushed them lightly, first with Leadbelcher. I then did a very light drybrush with Terminatus Stone.
I am quite pleased with how they have turned out. Once I have finished the main model I will affix them to the Rhino.
I pre-ordered the Horus Heresy Deimos-pattern Rhino and having picked it from my local FLGS I did think, would I leave it on the shelf for a few months (or years) before I started on it. Well I even surprised myself and actually started it a day or so after picking it up. I put the model together and then gave it a white undercoat. I also sprayed the underneath of the model with Citadel Zandri Dust in preparation for painting the the whole model yellow.
Games Workshop don’t do a yellow spray and I don’t have an airbrush. I did use a paint comparison site to find a close alternative to Yriel Yellow. The Daemonic Yellow spray from Army Painter seemed like a good choice, and my local FLGS had one in stock.
I gave the model a couple of light coats of Daemonic Yellow.
The rear view.
I will be painting the exhausts and bolters with Leadbelcher. The next step after that will be shading the model.
For the tracks, still on the sprue, I gave them a spray of Mechanicus Standard Grey.
I pre-ordered the Horus Heresy Deimos-pattern Rhino and having picked it from my local FLGS I did think, would I leave it on the shelf for a few months (or years) before I started on it. Well I even surprised myself and actually started it a day or so after picking it up.
The model has many more parts and is a more detailed kit than the original plastic Rhino kit that came out in the 1980s.
It does go together quite easily, though I found some parts challenging.
I did think the rear door ramp was hard to attach. Also ensuring there are no gaps with the top superstructure was a bit of a challenge.
I decided not to paint the interior, though I am tempted to get another kit and do the interior on that one.
I added the final parts to the model.
I went with a simplistic version, single bolters.
I have left the tracks off and will be painting those separately.