The Rolls-Royce Armoured Car was a British armoured car developed in 1914 and used during the First World War, Irish Civil War, the inter-war period in Imperial Air Control in Transjordan, Israel and Mesopotamia, and in the early stages of the Second World War in the Middle East and North Africa. The Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) raised the first British armoured car squadron during the First World War.
This Rolls Royce Armoured Car is the oldest vehicle at the Tank Museum still in running order.
It is a hundred years old, built at Rolls Royce’s Derby Works in 1920 and first saw service in Ireland the next year.
It’s painted as it was with the 5th ACC in Shanghai.
Spent time in Scarborough between 1922 and 1927, it was then shipped to Shanghai for 2 years before spending 1929 to 1938 in Egypt with the 5th Armoured Car Company, Royal Tank Corps, 12th Royal Lancers and 11th Hussars. After taking part in anti-invasion patrols with the 1st Derbyshire Yeomanry the car came to Bovington in 1940 and joined The Tank Museum collection in 1946.