This Carro Armato M14/41 was on display at Bovington.
The M 14/41 was a four-crew medium tank that served from 1941 in the Royal Italian Army.
The M14/41 was a successor to the lighter and slower M13/40, fitted with a more powerful and reliable engine. The first were built in August 1941 and were used until the end of the fighting in North Africa. Even when they were first used, the M14/41s firepower and armour were outdated against newer Allied tanks.
Built in 1942, this MI4/41 was sent to North Africa. It is believed to have been abandoned and captured soon afterwards. It came to The Tank Museum in 1951.
Operation Compass was the first large British military operation of the Western Desert Campaign during the Second World War. British, Empire and Commonwealth forces attacked Italian forces of the 10th Army in western Egypt and Cyrenaica, the eastern province of Libya, from December 1940 to February 1941. Italian tanks were outclassed by British tanks in Operation Compass. Poor Italian leadership and tactics made things worse. A total of 145 of the earlier M13/40 model tanks were lost-almost all the Italians had in Libya. In fact, so many were captured infact, that the British briefly used it themselves.
Another post on the Carro Armato M14/41 at Bovington.