Contrasting the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers using the Tallarn Box

As well as my other Daemonhunters Inquisitorial Stormtroopers which are based on the Cadian Kasrkin I have also decided to add a unit based on the Tallarn or I may just use them as inducted Imperial Guard.

I have had these models for a fair while.

I did look at my original painting scheme that I was using for the blister pack of Tallarn Imperial Guard. For them I had used a basecoat of Desert Yellow. Having finished the base coat I gave the models a wash consisting of Chestnut Ink, Scorched Brown paint (which helps remove the gloss of the ink) and some water to thin the wash down.

However I did think about doing something slightly different now that Contrast paints were available. I had painted some Star Wars Legion Rebel Troopers with Citadel Snakebite Leather Contrast paint and had been impressed with the results.

So I went to paint the models with Snakebite Leather Contrast paint, however upon closer inspection, I realised that the white undercoat was quite sparing on the metal models. This would have been fine using the Desert Yellow basecoat, however I didn’t think it would be the ideal primer for the contrast paint. So I took the models and gave them another spray with Citadel Corax White.

Then I painted them with the Snakebite Leather Contrast paint.

I am actually quite pleased with how they came out. I got a similar effect as I did when using paint and an ink wash, as you can compare here with the Tallarn models I painted before.

The next step is to drybrush with a lighter brown to extenuate the detail.

 

Leave a Reply