Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (Tallarn Blister)

As well as my other Daemonhunters Inquisitorial Stormtroopers which are based on the Cadian Kasrkin I have also decided to add a unit based on the Tallarn or I may just use them as inducted Imperial Guard. Initially I have purchased a single blister and the boxed set.

Here are the finished troopers in the desert.

Check out the workbench feature on the Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (Tallarn Blister).

Here is the story behind painting these models.

I started off with the blister pack.

Having taken the models out of the blister I was disappointed to find that the slottabase tabs on the bottom of the figures were way too narrow for the slots on the slottabases, so it was out with the green stuff to thicken the tabs up.

I enhanced the bases with some slate and resin from the Warhammer 40K Basing Kit and some Games Workshop modelling sand.

The next stage was a white undercoat.

I gave the models a basecoat of Desert Yellow.

Having finished the base coat I gave the Stormtroopers a wash consisting of Chestnut Ink, Scorched Brown paint (which helps remove the gloss of the ink) and some water to thin the wash down.

The models were then drybrushed with a lighter brown to extenuate the detail. The headscarves were picked out with Bleached Bone and highlighted with white paint.

Having found some Tallarn Heavy Weapons blisters in a box, I dug around to see if I could find these models to finish them off.

What did surprise me slightly was I had done some more work on them, but never got around to photographing them for the blog or website.

I had done the flesh and drybrushed them.

I drybrushed the three models with Snakebite Leather and Bleached Bone. Unlike highlighting and glazes and the suchlike, drybrushing does not give as neat as a finish as those methods. However I quite like the dusty look for these desert based models and these are going to be gaming models, not Golden Demon entries!

I quite like them, but they could do with a little more work to finish them off. Certainly means I can look at the boxed set (which I have also found, but the models are still undercoated).

I did intend to paint the bases for the model next, but upon checking the workbench feature for my Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, I realised that I needed a paint I didn’t have. For my Inquisitorial Stormtroopers I painted the flocked (well sanded) bases with Bestial Brown and then drybrushed with Bleached Bone. After that I went over the edge of the slottabase again with Bestial Brown.

I didn’t have a pot of Bestial Brown, and Citadel no longer manufacture that colour. According to the Dakka Dakka paint compatibility chart the best option is Mournfang Brown. So, the next time I was out and about I bought a pot of Mournfang Brown. I used this to paint the bases of the Tallarn Imperial Guard.

I drybrushed the bases with Citadel Ushabti Bone, which is a replacement for Bleached Bone.

More soon…