See more of the finished models.
Here’s a step by step guide on how they were painted.
Though the rulebook uses the current Stormtrooper models, I have decided to use the Cadian Kasrkin as the basis for my models. Here they are in their current unpainted (yet built and based) state.
Here they have been sprayed with a white undercoat
The next stage is to paint the base uniform colour.
Though I wasn’t happy with my test paint scheme with my assassin I decided I would use the basic concepts with these models. The first thing I did was give them a coat of Desert Yellow.
This is quite a watery thin paint compared to other Citadel paints, but was just like thinning any other Citadel paint with water without actually needing to do that.
Here is the entire squad basecoated. I have left the boots alone, as these will be painted Scorched Brown.
I do like these models, they are well sculptured and look the part.
Having finished the base coat I gave the Stormtroopers a wash consisting of Chestnut Ink, Scorched Brown paint (which helps remove the gloss of the ink) and some water to thin the wash down.
These are the core troopers.
These are the Heavy Weapons troopers and the Sergeant.
I drybrushed the entire squad with Snakebite Leather and Bleached Bone. Unlike highlighting and glazes and the suchlike, drybrushing does not give as neat as a finish as those methods. However I quite like the dusty look for these desert based models and these are going to be gaming models, not Golden Demon entries!
A close look at the Sergeant and Heavy Weapons troopers.
The next stage was to paint the boots. I used Scorched Brown for these.
These are some of the troopers.
The next stage was to paint the ends of the hellguns with Chaos Black. I also painted the sergeant’s head with flesh tones.
I also painted the visors, first with dark blue and then a highlight of pale blue.
I also painted the insignia using the Dheneb Stone Foundation Paint.
I added some more more detailing and moved onto the bases. I glued slate onto the bases.
I then flocked the bases using Games Workshop’s modelling sand.
I painted the bases Bestial Brown.
I did water down the paint so it would flow into the sand and the gaps under the rocks.
The bases were then drybrushed with Bleached Bone.
Here are the finished models.