The Avro Lancaster is a British Second World War heavy bomber. It was designed and manufactured by Avro as a contemporary of the Handley Page Halifax, both bombers having been developed to the same specification, as well as the Short Stirling, all three aircraft being four-engined heavy bombers adopted by the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the same wartime era.
Built by Victory Aircraft Ltd. Ontario. 18 Dec 1944, arrived 45 Group for departure to UK. Commissioned in early 1945. Arrived in England 5 January 1945 and was allocated to 20MU at Aston Down. 8 April 1945, assigned to 428 Squadron R.C.A.F. at Middleton St. George, County Durham. Squadron attached to No. 6 Bomb Group. 3 May 1945, damaged on training flight, repaired by AV Roe before returning to 428 Squadron service 4 June 1945 returned to Canada and put into storage 7 November 1951 went to DeHavilland and extensively modified for Maritime Reconnaissance and Rescue duties. Served in this role until March 1959 when it was again put in storage. Sold to a private individual it was shipped to the UK in 1986, it was then sold to the IWM.