The Hawker Hunter is a transonic British jet-powered fighter aircraft that was developed by Hawker Aircraft for the Royal Air Force (RAF) during the late 1940s and early 1950s. It was designed to take advantage of the newly developed Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet engine and the swept wing, and was the first jet-powered aircraft produced by Hawker to be procured by the RAF.
XL568 was first flown, as a T.7, in 1958. She was delivered to 74 Squadron and later converted to a T.7A. Continuing to serve with 74, she also passed through the hands of 237 OCU before ending her active duty days with 208 and later 12 Squadron at RAF Lossiemouth, where she was painted in Black Arrows colours in her final years of flying.
She was retired to ground instructional duties at RAF Cranwell and in early February 2002 was acquired by the RAF Museum for display at Cosford. Losing her black scheme and being repainted in early training colours, she is now on display in a dramatic pose inside the Cold War Exhibition.
More photographs of the Hunter T.7A.
Photographs of the Hawker Hunter F.6A at Duxford.
Photographs of the Hawker Hunter FGA9 at RAF London.