Airliners at Duxford

As well as military aircraft there are a fair few civilian aircraft on display as well.

BAC One Eleven 500

BAC One Eleven 500

Operated by BEA from 1969 until British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) and BEA merged to form British Airways in 1972. After retirement by British Airways it was donated to the society and flown to Duxford in 1993. Displayed in British Airways markings and named County of Dorset.

Hawker Siddeley Trident 2E

Hawker Siddeley Trident 2E

Painted in British European Airways markings to represent the first operator of the aircraft between 1968 and 1972. Used by Cyprus Airways until it suffered damage during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus and was abandoned at Nicosia airport. It was recovered by British Airways and repaired; and continued in service until 1982, when it was donated to the society and flown to Duxford.

Handley Page Dart Herald 201

Handley Page Dart Herald 201

Painted in Air UK markings, its last operator; it was donated and flown to Duxford in 1985

Handley Page Dart Herald 201

Bristol Britannia 312

Bristol Britannia 312

Had been operated by BOAC and British Eagle but retains the colours of the last operator Monarch Airlines. Donated to the society by Monarch Airlines and flown to Duxford in 1975.

Britten-Norman Trislander

Britten-Norman Trislander

The last Britten-Norman Trislander to be used by Aurigny, Guernsey’s airline.

Vickers Viscount 701

Vickers Viscount 701

Painted to represent a Viscount of British European Airways with the original name Sir John Franklin. Whiskey Foxtrot was the second production aircraft and was delivered to British European Airways in 1953. The last operator was Cambrian Airways and she was retired in 1971 and placed on display at Liverpool Airport with the Viscount Preservation Trust. Transferred to the Duxford Aviation Society and moved to Duxford by road in 1976.

Vickers Viscount 701

Airspeed Ambassador 2

Airspeed Ambassador 2

The only surviving Ambassador; operated by British European Airways (BEA) from 1952 to 1958, it was then used by the Royal Jordanian Air Force as a VIP aircraft. It was bought by Dan-Air in 1963 and operated until 1971 when it went on display at Lasham Airfield. Donated to the Duxford Aviation Society in 1986 and moved to Duxford still painted in Dan-Air markings.

Leave a Reply