This Avro Lincoln was on display at RAF Cosford.
The Avro Type 694 Lincoln was a British four-engined heavy bomber that first flew on 9 June 1944. It was developed from the Avro Lancaster, and the first Lincoln variants were initially known as the Lancaster IV and V. The Lincoln was the last piston-engined bomber used by the Royal Air Force.
The Lincoln was a larger and more powerful aircraft than the Lancaster. It had a wingspan of 112 feet, a length of 76 feet, and a height of 23 feet. It was powered by four Rolls-Royce Merlin 85 engines, which gave it a top speed of 330 mph. The Lincoln could carry a bomb load of up to 22,000 pounds.
The Lincoln entered service with the RAF in August 1945. It was used operationally in the Far East during the Malayan Emergency and the Korean War. The Lincoln was also used by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and the Argentine Air Force.
The Lincoln was retired from RAF service in 1963. A total of 607 Lincolns were built. The Lincoln was a successful aircraft and was a valuable addition to the RAF’s inventory. It was a capable bomber that served the RAF well for many years.