The Jagdtiger (Hunting Tiger) is a German casemate-type heavy tank destroyer of World War II. It was built upon the slightly lengthened chassis of a Tiger II.
The 72-tonne Jagdtiger was the heaviest armored fighting vehicle used operationally by any nation in WWII and the heaviest combat vehicle of any type to be produced during the conflict. It was armed with a 12.8 cm Pak 44 L/55 main gun which could out-range and defeat any AFV fielded by the Allied forces.
It saw brief service in small numbers from late 1944 until the end of the war on both the Western and Eastern Front. Although 150 were ordered, only around 80 were produced. Due to an excessive weight and an underpowered drivetrain system, the Jagdtiger was plagued with mobility and mechanical problems.
The Tank Museum’s Jagdtiger was abandoned and captured by the Americans in Paderborn in April 1945. Although it had been captured by the Americans, after the war Paderborn became part of the British Zone of Occupation. Both the Jagdtiger and the Pre-production King Tiger now in the Tank Museum were seen at Haustenbeck by British Ministry of Supply Researchers on the 25th August 1945.
After being tested at Sennelager it was sent to the School of Tank Technology at Chertsey in the UK before arriving at the Tank Museum in 1952. It is missing its rear engine plate cover, its third suspension unit and two road wheels on its left hand side but still retains its original Zimmerit anti-magnetic mine paste.