Ork Looted Rhino Hatches

I have been working on the front, back and top hatches for my Ork Looted Rhino.

Following on from my last post: The top hatch has had some rivets added, as well as handles and some additional armour plates. I still need to add rivets to the hatches themselves and I will be using a smaller diameter of plastic rod to do those. A tip I picked up from George Dellapina was to put a bit of superglue somewhere and then using the point of the modelling knife pick up the individual rivet, dip it into the superglue and then stick down where you want to. Problems are that occasionally you lose one… The superglue will often harden, but this is only a crust and can be cracked allowing access to unhardened superglue. The handles are from the Ork Trukk as is the metal fuel can (yes I know great location for a tank of fuel….).

I added some metal glyphs from the Ork Wrecker Trukk and (I think an Ork Warbike Model). Also from the bike was a wrapped shotgun. I have added the doors on the right side. I added some tracks to add additional armour as well.

Chains from the Chaos Vehicle sprue were also added.

The top hatch has had more rivets added using the smaller plastic rod.

I have not glued it in as I might do some variants in the future.

The front has had an icon, a plate and some chain added and some additional rivets.

The back ramp has been replaced by an armour plate with glyph and Ork icon. I am also detailing the inside of the ramp as well.

Still a few more things to do and then it will be undercoated.

It don’t work like it should…

Don’t smash it…

Following an idea from Tas on the EpiComms forums I have “smashed* the glass of the auspex where some ham fisted mek-boy hit it in frustration!

I have also drilled holes to eventually have some wiring which has been pulled out.

You will also notice I have cut off the Imperial Bolter which would have looked out of place in an Ork Looted vehicle.

Ork Looted Rhino Hatch

Getting the top done…

Done more on my Looted Rhino.

Rather than use the standard Rhino top door I have decided to make an Orky version. I started off with a piece of plasticard to fit the hole.

I then stuck a larger piece of plasticard on top of this.

In this picture of my Looted Rhino, you can see I have started on the roof hatch which I am replacing the supplied one with an Orky version. On top of the plasticard cover (see above) I stuck two hatch doors (sutiably weathered). I also added hinges to the hatches as well.

I have not actually stuck the model together, but I kind of pushed it together so that you could see how it was looking.

As mentioned in a previous post I have added some Imperial tracks as additional armour, a chain (from the Chaos Vehicle sprue), some cabling from an Ork Killan Kan extras sprue and some additional armour plates.

More soon…

Progress on Ork Looted Rhino

Having done some background reading and looking at other models I have started work on my Ork Looted Rhino.

Having taken on all these various versions I decided on a particular course of action. I would redo the side doors, the front panel, the rear door. I would also redo the top door and try and make a variant or two which could jsut slot into place. I wouldn’t have a roller, but would use one of the Chaos spikey front ends. I decided to use the Chaos Havoc Launcher with a Killa Kan and use the supplied Burna with the Rhino.

The first thing I decided to do was change the front left panel. So I removed the rivets and the other protruding plastic.

I then stuck down a piece of plasticard to which I added three panels and a covering strip. These were glued together using plastic cement glue. I then added Orky rivets using sliced plastic rod and stuck down with super glue.

I then added a door again using plasticard with plastic strip for the hinge and supporting struts. I also thought that the panels looked too new so I hacked them about with a sharp knife. I also hacked some of the Rhino structure as well.

This is a close-up of the front left panel.

More soon.

Ork Looted Rhino

There are Orks who have looted Imperial weaponry. Not only can they use Space Marine weapons they can also borrow the transport option… Check out how I am painted the Lootaz. The starting point for the Looted Rhino was a Chaos Rhino.

I then spent some time looking on the web for other Looted Rhinos. An obvious model to look at was the Forgeworld Looted Rhino.

This conversion kit contains quite a few resin pieces which replace substantial parts of the original plastic kit.

This includes new doors, a new front panel and additions to the engine panels and exhausts. Forgeworld also had another Looted Rhino on their GamesDay display.

This conversion had a death roller and various Orky panels as well as a Big Shoota and grenade launchaz.

I have been looking on the web to see how other people have been converting Rhino’s for use as an Ork Looted Rhino.

One such (now defunct) site is Scarpia’s Warhammer World which has an article on how to convert a Rhino into a looted Ork version.

Though I do think this is a nice model, it still looks too Imperial for my liking.

Having taken on all these various versions I decided on a particular course of action. I would redo the side doors, the front panel, the rear door. I would also redo the top door and try and make a variant or two which could jsut slot into place. I wouldn’t have a roller, but would use one of the Chaos spikey front ends. I decided to use the Chaos Havoc Launcher with a Killa Kan and use the supplied Burna with the Rhino.