The Panzer IV was a German medium tank that played a pivotal role in World War II. It was the most numerous German tank of the war, with over 8,500 produced between 1939 and 1945. The Panzer IV was a versatile tank that was used in a variety of roles, including infantry support, tank-versus-tank combat, and reconnaissance.
The Panzer IV was originally designed as a close-support tank to work alongside the Panzer III medium tank. It was armed with a short, stubby 75mm gun that fired high-explosive and smoke rounds. The Panzer IV was also relatively well-armoured for its time, with up to 80mm of armour on the front of the hull.
The Panzer IV was produced in a number of variants throughout the war. The most common variant was the Ausf.G, which was produced from 1942 to 1945. The Ausf.G featured a number of improvements over earlier variants, including a longer 75mm gun, thicker armour, and a more powerful engine.
The Panzer IV was a very effective tank in the early stages of the war. Its combination of firepower, armor, and mobility made it a formidable opponent for Allied tanks.However, as the war progressed, the Panzer IV became increasingly outmatched by newer Allied tanks, such as the Soviet T-34 and the British Cromwell.
The Panzer IV was one of the most important tanks of World War II. It was a versatile and reliable tank that played a key role in the German war effort. The Panzer IV is still remembered today as a symbol of German military power. The Panzer IV was the basis for a number of other armoured fighting vehicles, including the Sturmpanzer IV and the Jagdpanzer IV.
The Panzer IV at Bovington was completed as an Ausf D, with 30mm extra armour on the superstructure front and 20mm armour on the hull and superstructure sides before it even left the factory. In 1943 additional armour was put on the front and the original 75mm KwK L/24 replaced with the KwK 40 L/43 and this may well have been as part of the development of these various changes.