Take to the Skies! Aeronautica Imperialis is a game of aerial combat set in the Warhammer 40,00 universe. While ground troops push forward to secure tactical objectives, winged squadrons push forward in the skies to decimate enemy positions and intercept enemy fighters.
Though I think I bought the original Forge World Aeronautica Imperialis rules I don’t think I ever got around to playing an actual game. I certainly painted up a few of the planes though.
I had thought about buying the new game for a while now, but kept putting it off and buying other stuff. I decided that if I was going to get into the game, I would buy the Wings of Vengeance boxed set.
After hearing that it had gone direct only and was to be superseded by a new boxed set featuring the Tau, I decided I had better buy it now before it was gone. I wanted Orks not Tau.
The boxed set contains the following:
Citadel multipart plastic miniatures, each supplied with an Aeronautica Imperialis base:
- 2x Imperial Navy Thunderbolt Fighters (can be assembled as Thunderbolt Fighters or Thunderbolt Fury Fighters)
- 2x Imperial Navy Marauder Bombers
- 3x Ork Air Waaagh! Dakkajets
- 2x Ork Air Waaagh! Fighta Bommers
The set also includes a 36-page rulebook featuring the following information:
- The full Aeronautica Imperialis game rules, including how to build your force using Squadron Lists, how to perform Ace Manoeuvres, field different classes of aircraft and unleash ground defences. Learn how to manoeuvre your aircraft, adjust their altitude and change speed while avoiding the risks of crashing and breaking up (if you exceed your maximum speed). There are even rules for special manoeuvres including landing, taxiing, and taking-off.
- The Dogfight scenario, as well as optional rules for fighting at night or in bad weather conditions
- Squadron Lists, providing details of all of the aircraft in the box as well as their weapon options and special rules
- A reference page showing the 8 different manoeuvres aircraft can take, as well as a 2-page quick reference containing the key game rules
- 1x double-sided Area of Engagement game board (depicting two aerial war zones)
- 1x double-sided card token sheet (70 tokens to help you keep track of all the action)
- 8x Six-sided dice (white with black pips)
- 1x Transfer sheet (for the Imperial Navy and Ork Air Waaagh! aircraft included in the set)
- 2x Quick reference cards (containing the key game rules)
Blog posts on Aeronautica Imperialis
- Legions Imperialis Solar Auxilia
- It’s the end of Aeronautica Imperialis as we know it…
- Horus Heresy: Aeronautica Imperialis
- Drybrushing some tiny planes
- Drybrushing the Grot Bommers for Aeronautica Imperialis
- Painting Big Tiny Planes
- Painting Tiny Planes
- Got a copy
- Asuryani Vampire Flyers for Aeronautica Imperialis
- The Necrons are flying in