Grot Tank II

This is the finished model.

Here is the guide on how it was painted.

I picked up a set of Grot Tanks on a recent visit to Warhammer World.

The lunatic product of the deranged imaginations of grot riggers and scavs that have spent far too long basking in the insane genius of the Big Meks, Grots Tanks are diminutive armoured vehicles made to imitate the far larger Ork Wagons and Tanks.

The set contains four different variant chassis, tracks, exhausts and turrets as well as four fantastic Grot Tank Kommandaz and 5 different, incredibly shooty, weapon options.

Before making them up I had a good look at the pictures on the Forge World website.

There are many variations, but before I got started, I washed all the resin pieces. There is a fair bit of resin for the four tanks.

I then looked at the four main bodies and tracks deciding which was going to go with which and then cleaned up the resin.

This combination, especially the turret had a very Sherman look to it. I decided to arm it with a Grotzooka.

The model goes together quite easily.

Here are all four in a row.

Another view of the four, all in a row.

The tank was given a white undercoat.

All four of the tanks are now undercoated.

Having not really looked at them for a while, having been stuck at the undercoated stage, I thought I might try and finish them.

The first thing I did was realise that I hadn’t undercoated the bottom of the tanks, as the paint didn’t stick to the resin on the bottom. So I took it out to the garage and gave them a white undercoat on the underneath of the hull.

What I then did was give this Grot Tank a basecoat using a spray can of Chieftain Green I had.

This one always looks a bit like a Sherman so thought it worked well.

The next stage is to paint the tracks with Gorthor Brown. I would have normally painted the tracks black and then drybrushed with Boltgun Metal. However revisiting the Forge World images of their Grot Tanks, the tracks were brown and rusty.

I painted one of the tracks with Gorthor Brown.

I then painted the exhausts with Leadbelcher, I also used the same paint to paint the Grotzooka ammo box and the Grotzooka ammo in the cannon.

I painted the front “teef” on the tank with Ushabti Bone.

I then gave the model various washes of mainly Citadel Shades, Seraphim Sepia, though for some parts of the model, basically the tracks and the engine, I used Agrax Earthshade. I also used Nuln Oil for various metallic parts of the model.