Grey Knights Razorback

One other model I got for one Christmas  was a Forgeworld Razorback the one with the much bigger turret, which I much prefer over the plastic kit version that you get in the shops. As it is only £2 more now, I think the Forgeworld version is much better value for money. Though you would get some spare weapon parts with the plastic version…

These are the extra resin pieces you get with the basic plastic Rhino kit.

This Razorback is going to be part of my Daemonhunters army.

However I hear you cry, that’s not in the Codex!

I am attempting to paint a Grey Knights force which goes beyond the listings in the DaemonHunters Codex. What I am trying to do is to create a Grey Knights force (using the Space Marine Codex) and then using a DaemonHunters force as allies.

The standard Rhino kit includes three sprues.

The Imperial extras sprue.

As a result I will have some spare parts which will be probably used by my Orky boyz on a few conversions.

This is a completed Forgeworld kit, though this one had Heavy Bolters, whilst I got the Lascannon version.

To enhance my Razorback model, I purchased some Inquisitor Rhino doors from Forgeworld.

Another thing I bought was the Inquisitor and Grey Knights brass etched sheet also from Forgeworld. I am going to use components from this to enhance the model.

I also have some purity seals hanging about, which I also intend to use.

I constructed the main weaponry of the Razorback, the twin-linked Lascannons. This went together fine once I had enlarged the holes in the weapon mount turret.

I checked that it fitted the Rhino hull top.

I constructed the Rhino, I wasn’t going to detail or paint the inside, so I left that as was. I also left off the frontal plate and the doors.

The basic Rhino kit comes with two different doors, one relatively blank and the other with steps (or ladder) on. I decided to use a spare blank door from my Repressor to use two blank doors.

I added a brass Grey Knights symbol from the Forgeworld Grey Knights brass etching and a resin purity seal. When I was editing the pictures for this article, I noticed that I had inadvertently glued one of the symbols upside down! I therefore had to remove it from the door, turn it round and stick it down. It did not come off too easily, but I am glad I spotted it now rather than when I was painting (or worse when I had finished) the model.

I added a resin frontal armour plate from the Forge World Inquisitor Rhino Doors (having used the other side doors on my Repressor.

You can see on this shot the upside down brass symbol.

I added a few more purity seals.

I then decided I wanted to add some more Grey Knights symbols, so I added more icons and purity seals. Some to the main weaponry and some to the back door.

Next stage was a black undercoat.

The next stage was to paint on the basecoat. For this I used the Foundation Paints from Games Workshop, specifically Tausept Ochre.

More basecoat painted, as you can see this is getting nearly done now.

I actually started this model back in 2006, I recently retrieved it from storage and decided that I would try and finish painting it. I realised I had made quite significant progress.

Though as you can see the basecoat wasn’t covering the black undercoat very well.

I was using Tausept Ochre as the base coat, however having liked the paint scheme I was using on my Deimos-pattern Rhino, I decided that I would paint the Razorback in the same scheme.

It does have a fair amount of Inquisitorial and Grey Knights iconography on the model, but I have decided to leave it on.

The first thing I did was spray the underneath of the model with Citadel Zandri Dust.

Games Workshop don’t do a yellow spray and I don’t have an airbrush. I did use a paint comparison site to find a close alternative to Yriel Yellow. The Daemonic Yellow spray from Army Painter seemed like a good choice, and my local FLGS had one in stock, which I bought for the Deimos-pattern Rhino.

I gave the model a couple of light coats of the Daemonic Yellow.

The next stage was to paint the exhausts and weaponry.

The lascannons on the top turret were painted with Citadel Leadbelcher.

Another view.

The rear view.

The next stage will be the iconography.