A Dreadnought is piloted by a mighty warrior who has been saved from death by his internment within its armoured sarcophagus. In this way the warrior can continue to vanquish the foes of the Emperor for many centuries, or even millennia.

Spearheading the assaults of the Space Marines, Dreadnoughts are feared by all foes of the Imperium. On the battlefield they are death incarnate, with powerful weapons blasting their foes and lethal close combat weaponry crackling with deadly energies. There are few opponents in the galaxy who can stand against such armoured savagery.

This Space Marine Dreadnought was one of the models included the Assault on Black Reach boxed set. The Warhammer 40,000 Assault on Black Reach was 5th edition’s “boxed game” or “starter set”.

I finally got around to sticking together the Space Marine Dreadnought that came with the Assault on Black Reach.

As you might expect the model does go together very easily, having said that I did have a “moment” when gluing the model to the base!

Having constructed the model I then put it away for a while…

I got the model out of storage and decided I would paint this up as an Imperial Fists Dreadnought to accompany my new Deimos-pattern Rhino. I took some new photographs using my lightbox.

I gave it a white undercoat using White Scar spray.

The next stage was the base coat and I did consider to either use a yellow spray, or to use the new Imperial Fist contrast paint. In the end I went with the new Imperial Fist contrast paint and I was quite pleased with the end result.

Space Marine Dreadnought

I think for the next stage I will now shade some of the mechanics of the Dreadnought.

I knew that though this looked quite good, it wasn’t quite the effect I wanted, so I shaded most of the model with Reikland Fleshshade Shade. This was the process I used on the Deimos-pattern Rhino.

I will do some further Shading with Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia, especially on the back of the model.

I painted the weaponry and the exhausts on the Dreadnought with Leadbelcher.

For the next stage I used some Citadel Layer Yriel Yellow. I took a large brush and gave the model, what I would call, a heavy drybrush. I put paint on the brush, and then used some kitchen towel to remove most of the paint, and then using a stippling process added paint to the model.

I think I still need to do something about the right leg shield.

I then gave the model a light drybrush of Citadel Layer Dorn Yellow.