When I was at GamesDay 2003, I managed to get my hands on the new ForgeWorld Epic Ork Gunwagons (which are the Epic versions of the FW 40K Gunwagons).
They are good value for money, just £5 for three, and there are four different types.
As I suspect with a lot of people, I did not paint them straight away and put them in a box to do later… However now I have got them out and undercoated them.
They are very detailed models, though the exhausts are somewhat delicate and many of them were broken in transit.
This is a conversion using a Buggy Gunner.
When I did undercoat them I didn’t undercoat the underneath (rarely do with metal models). Started the black parts when I realised that the underneath (which was fresh resin) would not accept the acrylic paint I was using.
It looks like I will be forced to undercoat the underneath before I can continue with the paint job. So I have now undercoated the undersides of the Gunwagons with black paint.
These photographs also show the blacking of the metal parts.
Once the black is painted I drybrush lightly with Tin Bitz and then with Boltgun Metal.
I wanted to use a desert theme for my new Ork armies, which would mean that all the vehicles would be painted in different shades of dark orange and brown but still have an element of consistency amongst the units in the army. Having said that I will also be painting some in shades of green as well, though the brown wash will help blend them in.
Having painted and drybrushed the metal parts of the Gunwagons, the next stage was to paint the base coat. With the two models shown one was painted Desert Yellow and the other Bestial Brown.
The next stage was to give them a wash of Chestnut Ink, Scorched Brown and water.
In this picture the ink, paint and water wash is still wet.
This was then followed by a drybrush of the basecoat to tone down the wash and highlight the detail.
Here are some more pictures of the finished Gunwagons so far.
The bases were Warmaster bases and were covered in GW’s sand mix, before painting Bestial Brown and drybrushing with Bleached Bone.
These photographs show the green Gunwagon.
Another picture of the Gunwagons.
The Gunwagons mixed in with other Ork vehicles.
Here are some pictures of some of the other finished Gunwagons I have painted.
I am not too sure about these. Checks are something I have not tried before. The gunner is from a metal Ork buggy. Also the green panel is too striking, so I am going to paint over that.
In the end I decided to paint over the green panel in the end.
This seemed to tone it down (even with the checks).
Some more work in progress shots of the rest of my Ork Gunwagons.
These ones have had their base coat and their ink wash (and are still slightly wet).
Here are some photographs of the finished model with other Ork models.