For Bolt Action I am in the process of painting some partisans to fight Simon’s Italians. I have been looking for some vehicles, my first choice was the Tamiya 1/48th scale Citroen. Though relatively easy to find online, it is a plastic kit, slightly larger scale-wise for Bolt Action scale models.
What I didn’t realise until recently was that Warlord Games actually make a fair few civilian models for Bolt Action.
Looking through the Bolt Action website I quite liked the look of the Civilian 1000Kg Dropside Truck.
The other civilian vehicles in the French range also look quite useful. In the main I will use them as scenery or as objectives. In the end I did get the Warlord Games Bolt Action Citroen Civilian 1000kg Dropside Truck.
The model comes in a blister pack and comprises a clean resin casting and some metal components.
As with many models I like to see what the original vehicle looked like and also what others have done with their models. The original Citroen truck was derived from a car.
I have always found painting civiliian vehicles slightly troublesome, military vehicles are usually very drab, matt and weathered. Civillian trucks however are “colourful”.
I glued the axels to the underneath of the model.
I then glued the wheels to the axels, it was challenging to get them to be even.
I then stuck the headlamps and front bumper.
Having constructed the model I gave the underside a black undercoat and then undercoated the rest of the model with a white spray.
I had undercoated the rear part of the truck separately.
The next stage will be a base coat. I gave the rear of the truck (which was separate) a basecoat of Vallejo 70912 Tan Yellow.
I then gave the rear of the truck a wash of Seraphim Sepia Shade which was a little too light, so I then gave a wash of Agrax Earthshade.
I also gave the chassis, the tyres and wheels a base coat of Vallejo 70.862 Black Grey.
After much thought, I decided to take the risk and paint the bodywork of the truck red.
I used Citadel Mephiston Red as the base colour and I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
It still needs a wash and weathering, but the colour works for me.
I then took some Abaddon Black to paint the windows and chassis.
I also decided in the end to paint the running boards red.
Took some photographs of the truck in my lightbox.