I really like the new design and it’s so much better than the existing model, well the existing model is 21 years old…
I’ve always liked the Ork Gunwagon, which was one of the first Forge World models that was released and was one of the first that I purchased. After a while Forge World started releasing them with bigger more powerful weapons.
This is a Forge World Gunwagon with Big Shoota
Another Forge World Ork Gunwagon, this one is armed with Big Zzappa
From the Display Cabinets at GamesDay.
This 3D printed model to me looks very much like an Ork Gargant.
Actually the inspiration for the model was a steampunk inspired Great War which never happened.
via The Verge
This is my Ork Gunwagon with Kannon.
This one of the earlier Forge World models and I got mine back in 2005 (I think, possibly 2006).
You can see how I painted and made this model on the workbench feature for it.
Nice video from GW on how to paint Ork skin.
Personally built and piloted by an Ork Mekboy, the Morkanaut possesses all the lethal kunnin’ of Mork. Packed with glowy gubbinz from the Mek’s own workshop these mighty engines exist purely to cause carnage.
The Morkanaut’s main weapon is a profusion of worky gubbinz and zappy bits known as the kustom mega-kannon. It is also armed with two twin-linked big shootas, two rokkit launchas, a kustom mega-blasta and the Klaw of Gork (or possibly Mork).
Will I get one? Well I might once my Stompa eventually gets finished.
I have both volumes of the Forge World Masterclass books and they are a real inspiration and full of ideas and techniques for painting and weathering models.
I wanted to try and emulate some of those techniques on the engine of the Ork Bommer.
I have been using a combination of inks and shades on a base coat of Bolt Gun Metal. I then want to highlight parts of the engine, as well as adding some more grunge.
I intend to use some Forge World weathering powders and Citadel Technical paints to further enhance and weather the engines. I might though in the first instance try them on another model to ensure it works out how I want them to, but also what happens when I varnish the model.
The stage after painting the base coats and the details on the boomer I thought the next stage would be relatively much easier, however I was mistaken.
I was using a variety of Citadel shades initially, I left the boomer to dry. I found one of them I was using left a residue on the model. I was lucky that I was able to remove the residue with water and some kitchen towel. I am not sure what caused the problem, maybe one of age of my paints or not mixing it properly.
In the end I am quite pleased with the end result. What I was trying to achieve was a weathered aged look that is the result of a complete disregard to maintenance or care for the bommer. If this was a human Imperial Guard plane, it probably wouldn’t be able to fly, however as this is an Ork aircraft, it flies because of the sheer will of the pilot.
The next stage will be drybrushing, but in my next posting about the bommer I will look at the engine and engine details.
The next stage with the Ork Bommer was starting to add the details to the model. I have already given the model a two colour base coat, a base spray of German Armour Yellow, this was then followed by a second spray of British Armour Green. The base yellow was masked with blu-tac in an haphazard manner as would be befitting Orks.
In the past I would have painted the details Chaos Black and then dry brushed the details with Tin Bitz and Boltgun Metal. This process has fallen out of favour with me, and with this model I am going to use a technique that I originally tried on my Victorian Science Fiction Tunneller.
This underside view shows the engine in more detail.
The process is to first put down a base of Boltgun metal and then using shades and inks to add washes to bring out the detail.
I am also intending to use some of the Forge World weathering powders I purchased a few years ago, which I have never got around to using.
Here is the bommer with the turret and cockpit in place.
…and a close-up.
Here are two further components of my Ork Bommer, the cockpit and the rear turret assemblies. Initially they had a white sprayed undercoat.
The interiors were painted Chaos Black and drybrushed with Boltgun Metal. I then using Vallejo Middlestone for the exterior parts that will be showing. This (in theory) is the same colour as the original sprayed basecoat. The next stage